Assignmentbus_law_i_assignment1_.docxBus Law I- Assignment.
Did Jim and Laura Buy a Car?
HINT: See Chapters 10-14 of the text to help understand some of the legal issues covered in this assignment.
Jim and Laura Buyer visit the local car dealership because they are interested in buying a new car. The car they currently have is aging
and is starting to have mechanical problems. Jim and Laura would share the new car, and use it to go back and forth to work and
school. Before going to the dealership, Jim and Laura decide that they can only afford $400.00 a month in car payments.
Once at the car dealership, Jim and Laura meet Stan Salesman. Stan shows them several vehicles and Jim and Laura test-drive several
of the cars. Jim and Laura particularly like the blue 4-door sedan. Therefore, they agree to give Stan Salesman a $100.00 deposit to
hold the car for a day. Stan Salesman does not give them the receipt but guarantees that the $100.00 is refundable. No documents were
The next day, Stan Salesman calls Jim and Laura to ask them when they would like to take delivery of the car. Jim and Laura, on the
way home from the dealership, decided that they were not going to buy the car because they did not want to spend that money each
month. Therefore, Jim and Laura tell Stan salesman that they have decided not to buy the car and request their $100.00 deposit back.
Stan insists that the $100.00 was a deposit on the car and was meant to be part of the contract to buy the car. Stan is very persistent
and insistent that Jim and Laura have contracted to buy the car; therefore, the $100.00 will be applied to the purchase price of the car.
Jim and Laura are shocked and angry as not only do they not want to spend the money, but now feel as though they are being duped
by Stan Salesman.
Jim and Laura have an appointment to see a lawyer in a few days, but know you are a student taking a business law class and come to
you for advice. They are very frazzled, and understandably upset that they may have just purchased a car. Since you have been taking
business law, you have read and understand the elements of a contract and the defenses to a contract. Therefore, although you are not a
lawyer, you provide some basic advice from what you’ve learned in your business law class.
In three to five (3-5) pages, advise Jim and Laura based on the above facts as presented, the material provided in the text, and material
covered in the lecture. In your paper, be sure to address the following:
1. Define the elements of a legal contract using examples from the scenario where applicable.
2. Decide whether or not there was a contract for the purchase of the automobile.
3. Identify the facts from the scenario which support your decision on whether or not a contract exists for the purchase of the
4. Use at least two (2) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as
quality academic resources.
5. Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
o Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
o Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title,
and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
o Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the
required page length.
NOTE WE ARE USING THIS BOOK
Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 5th
Jeffrey F. Beatty Boston University
Susan S. Samuelson Boston University
– See more at:
Purchase answer to see full
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.