After reading Arthur Miller’s play Death of a Salesman (pp. 1208-1279), write a 3-4 page paper in
which you react or respond to the play. In other words, don’t just summarize the text; offer some kind
of perspective or opinion about it. This perspective or opinion can take on a variety of forms, as
exemplified by the following three prompts (you may choose one of the following three prompts, if you
like, or you may develop your own central, controlling idea):
1. In what ways is this story timeless, and in what ways does it relate specifically to the time in which it
was written? For this prompt, be certain to research the historical, social, and cultural time period in
which the play was written, and in addition, consider how the play relates to the human experience
more generally. See Chapter 31 (pages 1565-1567) of Literature by DiYanni for more information.
2. Examine three of the play’s main characters. How are they different, how are they alike, and how does
each relate to the play’s overarching themes? For more information, see Chapter 24 (pp. 922-925) ofLiterature by DiYanni.3. What is typically “American” about Miller’s play? What cultural attitudes and values displayed by the
characters make it “feel” American? How does the theme relate to the American experience of the
American Dream? See Chapter 31 (pages 1565-1567) of Literature by DiYanni for more information.
4. What is the overarching theme of the play, and how does Miller express that theme using the elements
of drama (characterization, setting, staging, imagery, etc.)? For more information, see Chapter 24 of
Literature by DiYanni.
For more information on reading and writing about drama, see Chapters 21-25 of Literature by DiYanni.
Write a structured, organized essay with a clear thesis statement; paragraphs with unity,
development, and coherence; an engaging introduction; and an effective conclusion that reiterates
your main points. In other words, write a strong, detailed essay about the play. Revise and edit your
paper thoroughly before turning it in.Remember, also, to use quotes and otherwise reference the play, and be sure to cite any outsidesources that you reference with both in-text citations and reference page citations. Failure to cite
properly is considered plagiarism, a serious academic offense with severe penalties (as discussed in the
Hondros Catalog). Be sure to follow standard APA formatting, and remember the 3-4 page length
The rubric below detailsReaction Paper Rubric Possible
Essay indicates a controlling idea: A clear thesis statement
indicates the essay’s argument, which answers the question about
the analyzed poem.
Essay develops a controlling idea: This thesis statement is
developed throughout the paper, without digressions, into a
thoughtful, careful, precise analysis. This includes specific, cited
quotations and paraphrases from the poem and any relevant outside
sources, as well as a discussion of critical theory, literary elements,
and/or biographical and historical information.
Essay develops a strong and logical structure: The essay as a
whole has a unified, coherent, and developed point of view, with a
thesis statement, introduction that contextualizes the discussion,
properly ordered body paragraphs, and a conclusion that ties
together the main points of the essay. Transitions connect sentences
and paragraphs throughout the essay.
Essay paragraphs are unified, coherent, and developed:
Paragraphs make one single, coherent point that fits within the
structure of the essay. Topic sentences and concluding sentences
are used appropriately.
Essay is edited and revised properly: The essay is written with
clear, interesting, sound sentences; appropriate tone; a lack of
grammatical, mechanical, typographical, and punctuation errors.
Essay meets APA formatting guidelines: The essay has an APAstyle
title page, uses Times New Roman 12 font, has appropriate
margins, offers a correctly formatted References Page and in-text
citations, and otherwise acceptably meets APA standards.
Essay meets length guidelines: The essay should be about 3-4
pages in length
TOTAL: 60 the breakdown of points for this assignment.
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.